Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Julia Comes to Visit!





I was so excited to have my good friend Julia come and visit last weekend.  We were the most unholy of mission companions at one time, and still have tons of fun together.  We are smiling in this picture, but actually on the verge of fainting from heat stroke!
Here's Julia, Emily, and I catching some rays and cooling off in the pool at my apartment. Who knew 3 women could fit on 2 noodles?
I am attempting to navigate the streets of Mexico here. We were all a little shook up to discover we were going the wrong way in a one-way. We entered in Mexicali, and drove around for way too long looking for the excitement.  Although we had our hearts set on some good mexican food, a local assured us the Chinese food was where it's at.  There were Chinese restaurants all over the place, so what could we do but go and eat there?
Ok, so I admit that my Spanish is failing me.  Julia has done a great job of keeping up on hers.  It was a running joke in Mexico that I was needing Julia to translate for me.  So, in order to redeem myself I was determined to find out some directions from our waitress (yes, a Chinese waitress).  As I am going off in my flawless Spanish, she stops me mid-sentence and says "Sorry, I speak very little English."  Remember that I'm speaking Spanish?  I stared at her a second, and then burst out laughing so hard I couldn't even get my composure.  She just looked at me and walked off. I couldn't stop laughing for about an hour.  Just the confirmation that I needed that my Spanish truly is leaving me! In this picture are Julia, Emily, me, Jen, and Diana. We didn't get directions, but at least the food was good!
Getting out of the country was a challenge. It took us about an hour.  The temperature climbed to 125 degrees and we were roasting.  Em bought a hat that covers both of us!

No comments: