Monday, October 13, 2008

What I'm Up To

Hey everyone. I don't want to brag but...the weather is beautiful here! So I have been taking advantage of the outdoors. My friend Becca and I went to Algodones, Mexico. She wanted to buy a sink. I know, how WEIRD! But then I got to looking at the sinks, and they are so pretty. I couldn't help but get one also. So here it is. Next time you see it, maybe it will be in my bathroom!
Then we decided to go hiking. We had heard about the hike to telegraph pass. A difficult hike, but only 3 miles. No problem we thought! It was actually pretty darn tough. Super steep. Like walking up the side of a skyscraper steep. OK, maybe I am dramatizing, but seriously my legs and lungs were screaming at me. 
Here we are at the top! I'm surprised you can't see my thighs throbbing in the picture. 

This is it. Notice the unrelenting little path leading straight up. And a bonus once you reach the top. A sign saying that there is a dangerous amount of radio waves in the area. So you work off a million calories, then get radiated for your efforts. 
Theses two pictures are out of order, but I'm tired and just don't care right now. The numbers are my proof of the 5k I ran this weekend. I made it in a personal best time. I won't share it here, there's no reason to make you all laugh. It was a moonlight run, and quite fun. I did it with 2 co-workers. 
A lame picture. But another thing I have enjoyed is riding my bike. The weather has cooled enough that I don't need to call the fire department to hose me down after a ride.  I have REALLY enjoyed getting on the bike and just going. There are some nice rides here, and the roads are flat. 



Well, back to the hike! Here's a pretty flowering cactus. The only flowering cactus along the whole path.
Becca and I tried this hike the week before. We took Niko with us, and it was quite a bit harder. Niko couldn't make it. He got a serious case of heat stroke. Poor dog was weaving back and forth all over the path crashing into us. If he could talk he would have said "Wake up you idiots! I'm black, it's stinking hot. Get me a slurpee now or I'm going to kill over." I finally clued in when he sat down, refused to move, and refused to drink. Come to find out he was attempting this hike with us while battling giardea. We saved him....barely! (notice his cute little shoes!)
I almost have to think someone set up this rock like this intentionally. Isn't it cute? Looks like the rock man on Never Ending Story. Or a transformer maybe. 
How old do you think this cactus is? It's much taller than it looks here. Probably about 15 feet tall. It's the only one like it in the whole area. For some reason these kind just don't grow much here. It looked so brave and strong standing there! 


3 comments:

Brehtt said...

The sink is pretty.... I like it. I hope Niko is feeling better. We miss you around here, your coming home soon yeah!!!!!

Jana and BJ said...

Poor Niko! You kick butt Joni and you never cease to amaze me. My goal in life is to be more like Joni.

Melissa said...

Your hike doesn't hardly seem worth it. Not even a great view from the top, and your dog almost died. Your on the downward count for coming home. YEAH!